Friday, October 24, 2008

Focused

As I walked Roger to the corner this morning, all I wanted to do was turn around and come back to bed. The last thing I said to Roger was "I don't want to do this." As I rounded the corner and started speeding up my walk, I realized I could fight it the whole time and concentrate on why I didn't want to do this and that my legs hurt and that my sinuses were stuffy. But, instead, I decided to focus on why I wanted to walk this morning. I have lengthened the distance I walk in the same amount of time. I sweat constantly, and will for several more hours. Pants that were snug a week ago are now loose. While my sinuses are tight, a weather front is moving in, I don't feel nearly as bad as I did a week ago. I feel strength in me that I did not know existed. I want to take hikes with loved ones without wondering if I will make it back to the beginning. These are just a few of the reasons I walk. Focusing on the positives rather than the negatives gave me the strength to finish, and finish with a smile on my face. And that smile will last all day.

No comments: